[ImageJ-devel] last release of HistThresh

Gabriel Landini G.Landini at bham.ac.uk
Wed Mar 19 11:02:44 CDT 2014

On Tuesday 18 Mar 2014 18:31:58 Barry DeZonia wrote:
> I am no longer working with the lab that worked with Antti. I have looked
> at the backups I made when I left and I do not have a copy of Antti's work.
> Some people in my old lab might have it and they check this mailing list.
> However I have also CCed Gabriel Landini (affiliated with Fiji) as he
> worked with me on this a bit and may have made a copy of the code.
>
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 5:04 PM, Carnë Draug <carandraug at octave.org> wrote:
> > Hi Barry
> >
> > early last year you have contacted Antti Niemistö about his HistThresh
> > toolbox [1]. This was a Matlab toolbox for image thresholding which he
> > released under GPLv2+. In the mailing list, he agreed to release it
> > under BSD for ImageJ2 development.
> >
> > Unfortunately, it appears that he no longer works at the Tampere
> > University of Technology and the website for the project has been
> > taken down. His previous email address has also been cancelled and I
> > couldn't find his new contact. I tried to use wayback machine to
> > salvage his project, but the last backup [2] was before the last
> > release (he made one release prompted by your email which fixed a
> > couple of bugs in the minimum and maximum likelihood method). I have
> > made a github repository with the version I found [3]
> >
> > I made an Octave port which works fine for me [4] but I know some
> > Matlab users who would like to use it. Would you happen to have made a
> > backup of the last release he made?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Carnë
> >
> > [1] http://imagej.net/pipermail/imagej-devel/2013-February/001404.html
> > [2]
> > http://web.archive.org/web/20120628113512/http://www.cs.tut.fi/~ant/histth
> > resh/ [3] https://github.com/carandraug/histthresh
> > [4]
> > https://sourceforge.net/p/octave/image/ci/default/tree/inst/graythresh.m

Hi Barry, Carnë,
This is the only version I have of the maximum likelihood estimator
(th_maxlik.m) code from Anti's website. The date of the file in my computer is
2/Nov/2004.
His method uses the th_minimum.m procedure as a first approximation, which in
turn uses the bimodtest.m and others (also attached), but in my endeavours of
porting the th_maxlik method in Java for IJ I failed miserably in reproducing
the results that the code gave for matlab (shown in the pdf attached).
I spent some time with this particular method trying to resolve what was the
issue, but I never succeeded, so rather than having a broken method, I left it
our from the autothreshold plugin.

I hope it is useful.

Regards

Gabriel