[ImageJ-devel] Naming [was: Re: [fiji-devel] RegionOfInterestCursor considered misnamed]

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Mon Oct 11 12:43:50 CDT 2010

Hi Dscho,

After thinking about this, I am not really sure that I want to change the
> name "Image", though. You should not use java.awt.Image and
> mpicbg.imglib.image.Image in the same class to begin with.

I do not think it is good to say "you should not" in cases like this. We
don't know everything people are going to be doing with these classes. If
someone writes a java.awt.Image -> mpicbg.imglib.image.Image converter, for
example, they will surely end up with at least one class referencing both
classes.

And in a sense, they _do_ mean the same. It's just that AWT is limited to
> 2 dimensions, why imglib isn't.

Sure. For me it a purely practical concern of two classes with the same name
clashing.

I do not like ImageSpace, though. It contradicts my perception of what the
> class is about.

I don't really like it either. How about "Img" mirroring the "img" in
"imglib"? Kind of ugly but at least it's unique. Otherwise we could use
"IImage" or "NDImage" or "ILImage" or "HyperImage"...

-Curtis