[ImageJ-devel] mvn javadoc problem with java 8

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Wed Feb 11 10:31:52 CST 2015

Hi Tobias,

> I get the following errors when running with java 8
>
> Works fine with java 7 and java 6.
>
> Is this a known problem?

Java 8's javadoc tool is much more stringent than previously, due to the
addition of doclint checks [1].

I am ambivalent about making it easy to disable the doclint, because I
think many of the new checks are valuable. However, some of the checks will
take a lot of work to bring our code up to snuff -- e.g., the fact that
@param, @return and @throws seem to be required now.

You can certainly disable it locally by passing "-Djavadoc.skip=true" to
Maven from the CLI.

Please do not disable javadoc in the properties, because then Jenkins will
fail to deploy the -javadoc artifact to the Maven repository.

[1] http://blog.joda.org/2014/02/turning-off-doclint-in-jdk-8-javadoc.html