[ImageJ-devel] GitHub for Mac, was Re: Copy Plugin directly to Plugins folder.

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Thu Jun 27 14:56:45 CDT 2013

Hi Chris,

> I need instructions on how to do steps B through E.

You already have the clone on your workstation. You wouldn't have been able
to push the README otherwise. You probably ran "git init" which actually
*creates* the repository on your workstation, and then you ran "git push"
which mirrors it back to GitHub. So you don't need to clone in that case;
you already have a copy of the repo, since the workstation is where you
created it.

Step (D) is "git commit"
Step (E) is "git push"

The book and other Git tutorials have more information.

You are already really close -- you have the code on your local
workstation, you have a GitHub repository already in existence, you have a
local Git repository linked to that remote repository, so all you have to
do is commit and push.

The errors you mentioned yesterday were because your local Git repository
had the wrong URL for the GitHub remote. That's why I asked you to check
the output of "git remote -v". It should say your origin is "
https://github.com/ad1054/Postcards". If it says "Hello-World" that is
wrong. To fix, try this:

git remote rm origin
git remote add origin https://github.com/ad1054/Postcards

Or, as Johannes says: just reclone from your GitHub remote into a new
directory, and then copy your files into there, and then commit and push
using the GitHub for Mac GUI.

Don't worry about "screwing anything up" because you can always just delete
and recreate the repository. It's not like you're going to lose hundreds of
hours of work, here.