[ImageJ-devel] GitHub for Mac, was Re: Copy Plugin directly to Plugins folder.

Chris chris at gaiag.net
Thu Jun 27 14:07:46 CDT 2013

> Hi Chris,
>
> >  following the instructions at
> >  https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo doesn't work .
>
> The article you want is:
> https://help.github.com/articles/create-a-repo

I did this article and created the README yesterday, which created a Hello-World folder on my computer with a .git and a README file.  I couldn't commit or push the commit due to the errors I sent you yesterday (remote origin already exists).  But that article is only about creating a repo and creating and pushing a README file.  It says nothing about cloning to my local workstation.

> *not* the one on forking a repo. The forking article is when you want to make a copy of someone *else's* repository and work on your copy of it. In your case, it is your own repo that you control. So you need to:
> A) create the repo on GitHub (you did this already)
> B) clone it to your local workstation (that's what "git clone" does; you can also do it via GitHub for Mac or other UI)
> C) hack on the local copy on your workstation
> D) commit your changes, which is like taking a snapshot so you don't lose work
> E) push your commits back to the remote server, so others can see what you did
>
> Pushing your changes back to GitHub is also nice in case your computer explodes, so you don't lose any work. You won't even lose the *history* of your work since the entire thing is there on the server. (And the entire thing is there on you local workstation -- that's why it's called a "clone").

I need instructions on how to do steps B through E.

> > I'm still lost and do not want to start trying things without knowing
> > what I'm doing.
>
> I strongly suggest you take the time to read up on Git so that you have a basic understanding before you flail around too much. It will save you a lot of frustration.
>
> http://git-scm.com/book
>
> Regards,
> Curtis

Thanks, Curtis, I will definitely study this.