[ImageJ-devel] GitHub for Mac, was Re: Copy Plugin directly to Plugins folder.

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Thu Jun 27 13:47:44 CDT 2013

Hi Chris,

>  following the instructions at
>  https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo doesn't work .

The article you want is:
https://help.github.com/articles/create-a-repo

*not* the one on forking a repo. The forking article is when you want to
make a copy of someone *else's* repository and work on your copy of it. In
your case, it is your own repo that you control. So you need to:
A) create the repo on GitHub (you did this already)
B) clone it to your local workstation (that's what "git clone" does; you
can also do it via GitHub for Mac or other UI)
C) hack on the local copy on your workstation
D) commit your changes, which is like taking a snapshot so you don't lose
work
E) push your commits back to the remote server, so others can see what you
did

Pushing your changes back to GitHub is also nice in case your computer
explodes, so you don't lose any work. You won't even lose the *history* of
your work since the entire thing is there on the server. (And the entire
thing is there on you local workstation -- that's why it's called a
"clone").

> I'm still lost and do not want to start trying things without knowing
> what I'm doing.

I strongly suggest you take the time to read up on Git so that you have a
basic understanding before you flail around too much. It will save you a
lot of frustration.

http://git-scm.com/book