[ImageJ-devel] Threshold command in IJ2

Aivar Grislis grislis at wisc.edu
Thu Jul 25 11:51:41 CDT 2013

In the Threshold command we should support threshold methods that
automatically exclude both low and high values.

All of the current threshold methods separate figure from background by
coming up with a single threshold value. The figure is then determined
to be pixels with values from the minimum value to the threshold value
and background threshold value to maximum value.  If the 'dark
background' box is checked these ranges are swapped.  In the user
interface and internal representation rather than having a single
threshold value there is a minimum and maximum range that the user can
tweak.

As an example, for images that consist of data for each pixel that is
expected to have a near-normal distribution, such as fitted lifetime
images, it's useful to have statistics-based threshold methods that
exclude outliers based on mean and standard deviation or else median and
quartile ranges.  (I like to use Tukey's rule:
http://www.edgarstat.com/tukeys_outliers_help.cfm )  Are there any other
useful algorithms we could implement to exclude low and high values in
ordinary images?

Thanks,
Aivar