[ImageJ-devel] Threshold command in IJ2

Lee Kamentsky leek at broadinstitute.org
Thu Jul 25 12:13:57 CDT 2013

We ran into the same requirement here. We had brightfield images where the
background was uniform and the foreground was lighter or darker. A simple
median worked well to stabily identify the background, but I was not able
to come up with a good way to identify the high and low cutoffs. My first
guess was to separate the pixel values into those that were above the
median and those that were below and then use the Otsu algorithm on each
group of pixel values to find the low and high cutoffs; that overestimated
the background for my images. In the end, we just used a fixed increment
and decrement from the median which worked well enough for our images. My
instinct is that a similar technique should work and should be more
reliable than something based on percentiles - the assumption made by
percentiles is that there are a certain number of background pixels and
that will vary from one image to the next.

I think a successful method might make a good paper, haven't done a
literature search of the problem though, maybe something is out there.

--Lee