[ImageJ-devel] ImageJ will not open, needs java SE 6 runtime

Johannes Schindelin Johannes.Schindelin at gmx.de
Tue Jul 9 22:27:17 CDT 2013

Hi Chris,

On Tue, 9 Jul 2013, Chris wrote:

> In attempting to open ImageJ or Fiji, I am getting an error: To open
> "ImageJ," you need a Java SE 6 runtime.

It also offers you to install the same.

> I have never seen this error before.  I use a Mac PowerBook Pro 10.7.5.

Apple does not ship Java by default anymore, starting with 10.7. Instead,
they show you that dialog similar to

http://www.fanuriotimetracking.com/files/releases/2.6.1/help/html/images/macosx-lion-java-install.png

which clearly has two buttons, one of them labeled "Install".

After it installed Java, you have to run ImageJ or Fiji *again*.

> Also, in attempting to run ImageJ from the terminal, I get:
>
> ChrisGAIAG:ImageJ chris$ java -jar -mx256m ImageJ.app/Contents/Resources/Java/ij.jar
> Error: Unable to access jarfile ImageJ.app/Contents/Resources/Java/ij.jar
>
> Is this a known problem, and is there a fix for it?

I bet ij.jar is somewhere else than ImageJ.app/Contents/Resources/Java/.

Ciao,
Johannes