[ImageJ-devel] ImageJ will not open, needs java SE 6 runtime

Chris christopher.coulon at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 10:15:28 CDT 2013

> Hi Chris,
>
> On Tue, 9 Jul 2013, Chris wrote:
>
>> In attempting to open ImageJ or Fiji, I am getting an error: To open
>> "ImageJ," you need a Java SE 6 runtime.
>
> It also offers you to install the same.
>
>> I have never seen this error before.  I use a Mac PowerBook Pro 10.7.5.
>
> Apple does not ship Java by default anymore, starting with 10.7. Instead,
> they show you that dialog similar to
>
> http://www.fanuriotimetracking.com/files/releases/2.6.1/help/html/images/macosx-lion-java-install.png
>
> which clearly has two buttons, one of them labeled "Install".

Yes, I got that exact message.  Unfortunately, I was on the Amtrak train from Bakersfield to Oakland, California at the time and had five hours to work on a project for a Canadian researcher.  Amtrak has limited wifi that does not allow downloads, so I was hoping I could start ImageJ some other way.  Wayne got back to me toward the end of the trip with the suggestion:

java -mx256m -jar  ij.jar

which worked.

> After it installed Java, you have to run ImageJ or Fiji *again*.
>
>> Also, in attempting to run ImageJ from the terminal, I get:
>>
>> ChrisGAIAG:ImageJ chris$ java -jar -mx256m ImageJ.app/Contents/Resources/Java/ij.jar
>> Error: Unable to access jarfile ImageJ.app/Contents/Resources/Java/ij.jar
>>
>> Is this a known problem, and is there a fix for it?
>
> I bet ij.jar is somewhere else than ImageJ.app/Contents/Resources/Java/.

You would lose that bet!  ;-)  Wayne's suggestion worked from the same directory where I got this error.

Chris