[ImageJ-devel] [Postcards] Bring Postcards up-to-speed (#1)

Johannes Schindelin Johannes.Schindelin at gmx.de
Fri Jul 5 14:20:29 CDT 2013

Hi Chris,

On Fri, 5 Jul 2013, Chris wrote:

> >> As I mentioned, there is no "Clone in Mac" button. My Git for Mac
> >> screen differs from your screen shot:
> >
> > Your screenshot shows only your local repositories. This could be an
> > indication that something went wrong when you entered your credentials
> > for github.com at the initial configuration (when you first started th
> > application Github for Mac). Try to find a way to enter them (I don't
> > have a Mac, so I'd suggest searching the menus and especially the
> > preferences - within the Github application on your mac, that is). No
> > point in proceeding while the left column only shows THIS COMPUTER.
> >
> >>    When you add repositories to GitHub for Mac, we automatically
> >>    match them up with any organizations you belong to. Want to pull
> >>    down a repository from GitHub.com <http://GitHub.com>? Check out
> >>    the Clone in Mac button on the website.
> >>
> >> Clicking that button gets me right back to the mac.github.com
> >> <http://mac.github.com> page.
> >
> > Given the above, I suspect the following explanation applies. Quoting
> > from the github-for-mac FAQ at
> >
> > http://mac.github.com/help.html#faq-clone-in-mac
> >
> > |"Clone in Mac" doesn't work.
> > |
> > | The "Clone in Mac" button requires that you be logged into GitHub.com
> > | and GitHub for Mac at the same time. Logging in on the website and
> > | through GitHub for Mac's Preferences should then enable the "Clone in
> > | Mac" button.
>
> Yes!  That was the missing link that I never saw in all my github and
> git for mac reading.  Thank you!  :-)

Hmpf. I am pretty sad that my detailed mails (that took quite some time to
write, I might add) did not manage to tell you that information. In
particular the part

	I just downloaded the application, started it, and input my
	credentials in the dialog asking for my GitHub login.

of http://imagej.net/pipermail/imagej-devel/2013-July/001643.html should
have given you that clue.

> Now, before I make a mess of my Netbeans project on my computer, where
> should I clone my project?  I have a Postcards file in my NetBeans
> project forlder:
>
> So my question is, should I navigate to the A_Postcard folder:
>
> or the Postcards folder:
>
> the Postcards on my github.com/ad1054/Postcards does not have the
> nbactions.xml or the target folder, so will I be messing up my NetBeans
> project if I clone it there?

Since all of those are failed, earlier attempts, why not follow my
suggestion (that I even repeated a couple of times now) to throw them away
and start over until you understand what you are doing there?

After all, it takes a substantial amount of knowledge of Git to reproduce
where you went wrong and what things are in your working directories and
repositories, and what is missing. And then it would take even more amount
of Git-fu to repair it.

Besides, it is really asking Adrian a lot to guess what the different
folders you have on your computer reflect. They could be anything, from
locally-initialized to forked to renamed folders, even empty folders,
folders that were originally named 'a-little-mouse', and nothing you
explained or showed could clarify that question.

So again: if you failed to accomplish what you wanted to do, throw it away
and start over. Until you understand why Git, or GitHub, or GitHub for
Mac, or Netbeans, or Maven did what they did.

Ciao,
Johannes

P.S.: you still have not had a look at my fix, did you?

P.P.S.: there are so many ways to extract code from GitHub, e.g. the
"Download ZIP" button on https://github.com/ad1054/Postcards/ (but beware:
they might rename it to "Download" and ask you to specify which format you
want in the future, "Download ZIP" is not guaranteed to be the label for
all future!). Even if a clone would fail, you still would have a ton of
ways to find out what changes others made.