[ImageJ-devel] GitHub for Mac, was Re: Copy Plugin directly to Plugins folder.

Johannes Schindelin Johannes.Schindelin at gmx.de
Wed Jul 3 13:11:46 CDT 2013

Hi Chris,

On Wed, 3 Jul 2013, Chris wrote:

> I have studied all the lessons suggested below and taken them as far as
> I could go with them.  For example, in Working with repositories
> example, I can fork the Spoon-Knife project to my account, but I cannot
> clone it, because there is no "Clone on Mac" button anywhere on the
> page.  There is a "Clone in Desktop" button, but that just takes me to
> the mac.github.com page for downloading GitHub for Mac, which I already
> have.  So I cannot do the clone and therefore I cannot go any further
> with the tutorial.  I can and have read the tutorials beyond, but I
> cannot do any of the examples beyond the cloning part.

I finally tried out GitHub for Mac. It is super-easy! I just downloaded
the application, started it, and input my credentials in the dialog asking
for my GitHub login.

After that, it showed me a very intuitive overview of my repositories on
the computer ("THIS COMPUTER") and the organizations on GitHub I am member
of ("GITHUB.COM").

Clicking on one of those organizations gives my an intuitive list of the
repositories stored in that organization.

See the attached screenshot.

As you also can see, it has a "Clone to Computer" button for each
repository.

Sure, it does not really look like the documentation (they removed the
"Clone to Mac" button in their very recent web interface re-design), but
the application still seems *very* intuitive to me.

Just for fun, I cloned one of my repositories. It was now listed in the
"Cloned Repositories" section. Clicking on the big arrow next to the title
of the cloned repository brought me to the next view: the repository
itself (see next attached screenshot).

It was very easy to get to the files, too: just click on the folder symbol
in the repository/changes view. See next attached screenshot.

I even went so far as to make changes and add new files. When I switched
back to the GitHub application, it automatically refreshed and showed me
the changed files. See next attached screenshot.

All that is left to do to publish these changes is to write a commit
summary, an extended description, click the commit button and then call
Repository>Synchronize to put the changes onto GitHub.

Frankly, even if the user interface does not always look *exactly* as in
the documentation on https://mac.github.com/, it is very, very easy to
find the way through it.

> As a result, I am unable to work with my project.  I have the errors
> that package org.jdesktop.layout does not exist, although I suspect
> swing-layout-1.0.4 (which contains org.jdesktop.layout) does exist
> because the project ran before I removed the APC_ dependency in my pom.

My hunch is that you had the correct dependencies in there back when you
called it APC_, but then removed the dependencies *and* renamed the
project. Hence, when you have APC_ as a dependency (which is wrong,
because you do not want an older version of the same project to be dragged
in), you get the correct swing-layout dependencies back.

> I would love to be able to clone my project and resolve the errors, but
> the tutorials do not match what I see in my github page, and I don't
> have enough information to know why and resolve these issues.

See above. The GitHub for Mac application is super-easy to use.

Ciao,
Johannes