[ImageJ-devel] Migrating to Git from SVN [was: Re: SVN authors file]

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Sun May 13 15:36:06 CDT 2012

Hi Dscho,

> It is complete. Please find my script to rewrite the commits in the
> svn2git branch. You can see a current version of the rewritten master branch
> here:
>
> http://fiji.sc/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=imagej2/.git;a=log;h=refs/remotes/rewritten-trunk

Thanks! It looks perfect to me. I see that you integrated the
Authored-by tags, and kept the SVN metadata as footnotes, which is
great. It also looks like the existing forks
(https://github.com/imagej/imagej/network/members) have minimal or no
changes, so hopefully no one will be burned too badly.

One question: if we force-push this rewritten branch to master, how
will that affect existing topic branches? Presumably they will have to
be rebased (http://www.linuxhowtos.org/manpages/1/git-rebase.htm#lbAK)...
do you anticipate any problems with that?

Unless there is some other reason to wait, I propose we switch to your
rewritten branch ASAP on Monday and notify people accordingly. I will
make the SVN repository read-only at that time, to prevent anyone's
work from going to /dev/null.

-Curtis

P.S. to the curious: It has been more than a year and a half since we
switched the ImageJ2 repository from Git to SVN. During that time, our
development team has been using Git more and more. We have been using
the ImageJ2 Git mirror (https://github.com/imagej/imagej) with Git-SVN
for quite some time now, and have become proficient enough with the
command-line tools to prefer it over SVN. So even though some of our
original reasons for switching to SVN are still valid
(http://imagej.net/pipermail/imagej-devel/2010-September/000153.html),
we feel there are many more reasons to switch back—in particular:
GitHub is a truly phenomenal tool for worldwide collaboration on open
source projects!