[ImageJ-devel] Migrating to Git from SVN [was: Re: SVN authors file]

Johannes Schindelin schindelin at wisc.edu
Sun May 13 16:02:02 CDT 2012

Hi,

On Sun, 13 May 2012, Curtis Rueden wrote:

> Hi Dscho,
>
> > It is complete. Please find my script to rewrite the commits in the
> > svn2git branch. You can see a current version of the rewritten master
> > branch here:
> >
> > http://fiji.sc/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=imagej2/.git;a=log;h=refs/remotes/rewritten-trunk
>
> Thanks! It looks perfect to me. I see that you integrated the
> Authored-by tags, and kept the SVN metadata as footnotes, which is
> great. It also looks like the existing forks
> (https://github.com/imagej/imagej/network/members) have minimal or no
> changes, so hopefully no one will be burned too badly.
>
> One question: if we force-push this rewritten branch to master, how
> will that affect existing topic branches? Presumably they will have to
> be rebased (http://www.linuxhowtos.org/manpages/1/git-rebase.htm#lbAK)...
> do you anticipate any problems with that?

Yep, I see problems with that. I could write a script which basically does
the following:

	git rebase -i --onto 4d43bf1 4a3ab4b

We should probable use a tag or something, maybe 'last-svn' or similar? It
would then be

	git rebase -i --onto last-svn trunk

But that would have to be done with every single branch...

> Unless there is some other reason to wait, I propose we switch to your
> rewritten branch ASAP on Monday and notify people accordingly. I will
> make the SVN repository read-only at that time, to prevent anyone's
> work from going to /dev/null.

Sounds good. I won't be in office until Thursday morning, though...

Ciao,
Dscho