[ImageJ-devel] [IMGLIB] moved algorithm and stats packages out of imglib2-core

Albert Cardona sapristi at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 10:47:10 CST 2012

El 1 de març de 2012 11:38, Johannes Schindelin
<Johannes.Schindelin at gmx.de> ha escrit:
> Hi Tobias,
>
> On Thu, 1 Mar 2012, Tobias Pietzsch wrote:
>
>> I don't have a problem with having Histogram in the core, either.
>> But then it should not implement the Algorithm interface (I don't
>> get the point of the Algorithm interface, to be honest).  Equally
>> important: it should not _feel_ like an algorithm, rather it should
>> _be_ the histogram.  I.e., Histogram should not have an getHistogram()
>> that returns an int[] array which represents the histogram.  Rather,
>> Histogram itself should represent the histogram.  For example, it could
>> implement RandomAccessibleInterval< IntType > to achieve that, and the
>> histogram could be computed in the constructor.
>
> There is a problem here. To many people, the histogram is the
> two-dimensional image displaying the bins as vertical bars.
>
> This is wrong, of course, but we have to face reaility: if we pretend that
> the histogram is an image (which RandomAccessibleInterval suggests despite
> the name -- which exposes the nationality of the ImgLib designers, by the
> way), people will assume it to be that two-dimensional image and be
> surprised to find it is one-dimensional.
>
> Just cautioning here.

Johannes, the likelihood of anyone using ImgLib as an image processing
library and confusing the histogram with the plot raster
representation of such histogram is small.

At the ImageJ 2.0 API, sure, that could be an issue.

Albert

--
http://albert.rierol.net
http://www.ini.uzh.ch/~acardona/