[ImageJ-devel] [IMGLIB] moved algorithm and stats packages out of imglib2-core

Johannes Schindelin Johannes.Schindelin at gmx.de
Thu Mar 1 10:38:01 CST 2012

Hi Tobias,

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012, Tobias Pietzsch wrote:

> I don't have a problem with having Histogram in the core, either.
> But then it should not implement the Algorithm interface (I don't
> get the point of the Algorithm interface, to be honest).  Equally
> important: it should not _feel_ like an algorithm, rather it should
> _be_ the histogram.  I.e., Histogram should not have an getHistogram()
> that returns an int[] array which represents the histogram.  Rather,
> Histogram itself should represent the histogram.  For example, it could
> implement RandomAccessibleInterval< IntType > to achieve that, and the
> histogram could be computed in the constructor.

There is a problem here. To many people, the histogram is the
two-dimensional image displaying the bins as vertical bars.

This is wrong, of course, but we have to face reaility: if we pretend that
the histogram is an image (which RandomAccessibleInterval suggests despite
the name -- which exposes the nationality of the ImgLib designers, by the
way), people will assume it to be that two-dimensional image and be
surprised to find it is one-dimensional.

Just cautioning here.

Ciao,
Dscho