[ImageJ-devel] [fiji-devel] Fwd: Local Neighborhood stuff

Barry DeZonia bdezonia at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 11:09:40 CDT 2012

Hi guys,

I've been too busy to dig very deeply into this. I just wanted to let you
know I dealt with some similar issues when writing the
net.imglib2.ops.pointset package. Giving it a look might be informative.

One thing that jumps out at me is the reliance on a span for an abstract
neighborhood. I think there should be bounds but that neighborhoods might
be sparse and possibly nonsymmetric. Imagine a 2d neighborhood like this:

X  X  X  X
X  X

And let any point could be the "center" (or anchor) depending upon the API
user's wishes. This is the idea behind GeneralPointSet. If span means bound
then no problem but if span means "all the points within this n-d space"
then the above is not supportable.

Anyhow I hope this adds to the discussion. If there are any questions in
regard to the PointSet package let me know.