[ImageJ-devel] Maven 3 support

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Tue Feb 28 11:13:52 CST 2012

Hi Dscho,

And sure enough, they don't, because Maven 3 no longer accepts the wagon
> extension in its current form.

I tested your change on my local system with Maven 3.0.4, but unfortunately
it breaks the build:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-deploy-plugin:2.7:deploy (default-deploy) on
project pom-ij-base: Failed to deploy artifacts/metadata: No connector
available to access repository imagej.snapshots (dav:
http://maven.imagej.net/content/repositories/snapshots) of type default
using the available factories WagonRepositoryConnectorFactory -> [Help 1]

However, on my system with the wagon-webdav extension still in place, the
deploy works fine. So our experiences are not in line here; Maven 3 +
wagon-webdav works for me. Could there be some other cause to the problems
you're seeing?

Since Maven 2.2.1 is the current Maven 2 version and even if I do not know
> what version m2e bundles, it seems to compile fine in my m2e
> installation, so I assume it is newer than 2.0.9.

I agree that we do not need to support Maven 2.0.x. If our builds work with
Maven 2.2.x and 3.0.x, then I am happy. (Actually, I am happy even if we
require Maven 3, although there are some arguments not to limit ourselves
that way.)

P.S.: I needed to install Eclipse for all three Operating Systems
> supported by Fiji so I can make sure that the changes I intend to make on
> SwingOutputWindow do not break existing functionality (as I am on Linux, I
> always get these crappy scrollbars, and I verified that the same happens
> on Windows, but not on MacOSX, so I guess that some overly specific
> dimensioning code is responsible that assumes a bit too much).

The crappy scroll bars have been a continuing nuisance. I think it may be a
bug in JHotDraw. See also:

https://github.com/imagej/imagej/blob/master/ui/awt-swing/swing/ui-base/src/main/java/imagej/ui/swing/display/JHotDrawImageCanvas.java#L294

I certainly agree that this hack of "+5 in both dimensions" is overly
specific. If you have a better idea, that's great.