[ImageJ-devel] ImageJ2 and OME ROI models

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Thu Jun 23 05:04:54 CDT 2011

All cool.  A bottle of whisky for the best suggestion for "M".

Lee, if there's anything you want the OME team to look at, just shout.  I think most are now on imagejdev.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Jason

On 23 Jun 2011, at 01:04, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2011, Jason Swedlow wrote:
>
>> I want to discuss with everyone one on this side, but I think there is
>> general agreement with all the points you are making.  The model ImageJ
>> uses for ROIs (or anything else) must deliver utility for ImageJ devs
>> and users-- that's its first priority.  I think the major point is that
>> we should build and implement these tools mindful of common and
>> interoperable use.  That sounds like what is happening, and Lee's work
>> to date sounds great. We'll look at it and report back.  In any case, I
>> doubt we can completely avoid adapting one to another.  I believe we
>> should treat the willingness to consider and plan for adaptability as a
>> good thing, and the basis for future cooperation and collaboration.
>
> My experience is that when people are forced to adapt two paradigms into
> one, either the outcome is better than any of the previous attempts, or
> the people do not speak to each other anymore :-)
>
> Seriously again, I think that we're on a good track here, because what Lee
> does is indeed the implementation side of something that is pretty well
> defined in the OME standard.
>
> So all is good.
>
>> On the wider issue of broadening OME's scope, that is happening anyway,
>> and will be done because it is useful and for no other reason.  We'll
>> likely agree to keep "OME", and we can decide what M stands for later
>> (maybe "Muhahahahahaha!").
>
> How about "Meh!"?
>
> :-)
>
> Ciao,
> Johannes

**************************
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street