[ImageJ-devel] TANGO

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Sun May 31 03:06:05 CDT 2015

Hi Jean,

> @Curtis, in your answer to Alexandra, what do you mean by "It would be
> best for TANGO to be distributed via an ImageJ update site, which are
> only supported in ImageJ2" ?

I was responding to Alexandra's statement at the beginning of the thread:

> One of the developers of TANGO told me to use ImageJ1 because he
> wasn't sure how the switch between libraries is managed.

I understand that Tango has an official update site, which is great! What I
meant is that I think update sites are the best way to distribute complex
plugins like Tango—and update sites only work with ImageJ2, not ImageJ1.

Hence, the advice to "use ImageJ1" struck me as odd. Based on my
conversation with Alex in another thread, I think there was some confusion
about what constitutes "ImageJ1" vs. "ImageJ2", which has hopefully been
cleared up.

> for some reason in her system (macosx64) only tango is updated and not
> mcib (but it works properly in my system, linux64). Any clue about
> what the problem might be?

I took a look at the Tango update site, and noticed a couple of problems:

1) TANGO's platform-specific libraries are not in the correct locations. TANGO
ships its libraries in lib/Linux64, lib/Win64 and lib/Mac64, which will not
be added to the java.library.path properly.

- 64-bit Linux libraries should go in lib/linux64
- 64-bit Windows libraries should go in lib/win64
- OS X libraries should go in lib/macosx

You can verify this for yourself on each platform by running "ImageJ-xyz
--dry-run" and noting the value of the "-Djava.library.path" argument.
E.g., on my OS X system, it is:

  -Djava.library.path=/Applications/Fiji.app/lib/macosx:/Applications/Fiji.app/mm/macosx

2) TANGO's lib/Mac64 directory does not have any OS X native libraries in
it. I'm not sure whether this is intentional, though.

3) The TANGO update site does not ship any mcib libraries. You can verify
this by running Help > Update..., changing the View Options to "View files
of the 'Tango' update site" and typing "mcib" into the Search box.

I downloaded http://sites.imagej.net/Tango/db.xml.gz and searched it for
"mcib" and the string does not appear. This means that in fact, no files
with "mcib" in the name have ever been uploaded to the Tango update site.

Perhaps the reason TANGO works on your Linux system is that you have the
mcib library present in a different directory of the java.library.path?
Perhaps a system-wide installation? You may want to test on another fresh
Linux system, rather than only your developer system.

HTH,
Curtis