[ImageJ-devel] SemVer policies for ImageJ2 and Fiji

Mark Hiner hiner at wisc.edu
Mon Mar 30 12:05:52 CDT 2015

Hi Stephan,

>Behavior, however, is critical and complicated to test, having a
>contract that makes guarantees here would indeed be useful

A contract that guarantees this would be amazing. I think we are on the
same page, but just wanted to illustrate how bugs make this an intractable
problem for versioning:

If bug fixes that change behavior would cause MAJOR version bumps, the
introduction of bugs that change behavior must also cause a MAJOR version
bump. Thus you need to know if you have added a bug or not before doing a
release. Failure to identify a bug means the release of versions that do
not follow the versioning scheme, which means we can not actually use the
version to reason about compatibility.

>> 3. Since this is an internal versioning scheme, it may not be easy to
>> compare our versions with external project versions that use SemVer.
>
>Why would we want to do this?

My original thought was dependency convergence - but for that the versions
comparisons are between artifacts with the same versioning system, so all
you need is internal consistency. So this may not actually be important.

>http://sentimentalversioning.org/

This page is great. I either hadn't read it or had forgotten it, so thanks
for sharing!

> https://gist.github.com/jashkenas/cbd2b088e20279ae2c8e

I think the author of this post slightly misunderstands the use of SemVer.
I completely agree with some of the content ('If you expect SemVer to solve
your problems for you, you will be disappointed'). But the author seems to
blame SemVer for failing to account for changes in behavior, when really
the failure was in their use of SemVer.

In the intro of http://semver.org/ is the phrase: "For this system to work,
you first need to declare a public API." If a developer doesn't declare API
to include behavior then they can't expect behavior to respect SemVer. If
they decide API does include behavior and then follow SemVer, then behavior
would be guaranteed between compatible versions - assuming they updated the
version appropriately when changing behavior.

>Instead, we should try to build pom-fiji including all
>downstream modules *overriding* or *upgrading* their dependency versions
>to the highest possible.  Do you have something like this already or do
>you have an idea how that could be done?

We have been throwing around the phrase "Melting Pot" for a while. This is
our dream: to have a Jenkins job that pulls the full SciJava software stack
and tests everything together based - i.e. build Fiji's pom
<https://github.com/fiji/fiji/blob/86622adda86e786dac01e8f7339cba5cb772b50b/pom.xml>
and test. This would check for dependency convergence as you outlined, and
make whatever guarantees of behavior we can automate.

There is a script started to do this
<https://github.com/scijava/scijava-scripts/blob/aab7cfe805638efc25615fdd7c78cedaae3c7197/melting-pot.sh>,
but no tests incorporating it that I know of yet. But it sounds like we're
on the same page, that this is how our software should be tested.

With this in mind, my proposal is:

* Define "API" for our software to be limited to public interfaces, classes
and methods, but not behavior. This is what will be covered by SemVer.
* Develop Melting Pot tests to validate behavior and dependency convergence

Unless there are any objections to this, I will update
http://imagej.net/Architecture#Versioning to explicitly define API as such,
and summarize the concerns that have been raised in this discussion -
including how the Melting Pot will make everything happy.

>we're doomed.

Probably!

>Thanks for all the energy that you're putting into this!

You too!

Best,
Mark