[ImageJ-devel] Developping new UI for ImageJ

Brian Schlining bschlining at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 12:23:14 CDT 2015

Hi,

On March 26, 2015 at 8:49:21 AM, Mongis Cyril (cyril.mongis at googlemail.com) wrote:

I'm currently embedding ImageJ in one my application but I use JavaFX for the user interface. I would like to channel the image windows, which are created and handled by ImageJ, to JavaFX elements. In other words, when a plugin wants to display an image, this image would be displayed in a JavaFX element.

I have some code that may help get you going. The source is under https://github.com/hohonuuli/assignments-openimaj. Specifically, you should take a look at the classes in https://github.com/hohonuuli/assignments-openimaj/tree/master/src/main/java/org/mbari/javafx/scene/image

The code there is pretty straightforward. I wrote this code for an image processing course I was taking. You can display an image in a resizable JavaFX Stage likes so:

import java.net.URL;
import org.mbari.javafx.scene.image.*;

JavaFX.namedWindow("My Window",
  new URL("https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/24/Lenna.png"));
If you need a reference to the Stage you can do the following after you’ve created it:

Optional<ImageStage> stage = JavaFX.getNamedWindow("My Window");
Anyway, it will at least give you a starting point. There’s a method that takes a javafx.scene.image.Image instead of a URL too. You’ll still need to implement a conversion between ImageJ/imglib2 image formats and JavaFX’s Image. There’s also a Swing class the does something similar (e.g. Swing.namedWindow(...) in the project.

Good Luck

– Brian Schlining