[ImageJ-devel] JavaFX packaging update

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Wed Jun 17 11:09:07 CDT 2015

Hi Wayne,

I just pushed some commits to the ImageJA repository [1] so that it can
also build the same platform-specific application bundles -- but for
vanilla ImageJ1 alone.

To install Maven on your OS X machine, I recommend using Homebrew [2]. Then
you can simply do:

    brew install maven

And you'll have a working mvn command.

Note that the application bundling feature requires Java 8, since it is
JavaFX-related functionality.

So the commands you need to build platform bundles for ImageJ 1.x are:

    git clone git://github.com/imagej/ImageJA
    cd ImageJA
    mvn -Pdist

And it should create them in the target/jfx/native folder. There should be
.dmg and a .pkg installers, which including a Java 8 runtime embedded (in
the ImageJ.app/Contents/PlugIns/Java.runtime folder internally). There
should also be an ImageJ.app in there. There is also a double-clickable
ImageJ.jar in the target/jfx/app folder (with empty lib/ folder since
ImageJ 1.x has no dependencies), as well another set of installers that do
_not_ include the JRE in the target/jfx/native-nojre folder.

Happy to help troubleshoot if you continue to have problems getting this
working.

P.S. You may notice one exception when building the ImageJA bundles,
relating to the version string not conforming to "x.y.z" pattern, but it
does not halt the build.

[1] https://github.com/imagej/ImageJA
[2] http://brew.sh