[ImageJ-devel] Materials from the ImageJ2 Scripting and Plug-In Workshop

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Thu Jan 8 15:45:33 CST 2015

Hi John,

[CCing imagej-devel list, as this discussion may interest others.]

> I was wondering if electronic copies of the presentation slides and
> support material were available. I learn best by example...

The best place to look for up-to-date ImageJ2 examples is:

    https://github.com/imagej/imagej-tutorials

Along with this wiki page:

    http://imagej.net/Writing_ImageJ2_plugins

The workshop materials are a couple of years old and would be potentially
misleading today.

> I have many of these working in ImageJ1 but would like to always have
> the option of fast, headless execution after prototype development. In
> ImageJ1, I end up having adapt a lot of the source code to make
> display optional. This  work is part of a larger plan to make my data
> analysis more reproducible.

Fantastic. The basic idea of ImageJ2 along those lines is to implement your
algorithms as parameterized commands, which declare their inputs and
outputs explicitly rather than relying on something like ImageJ1's
GenericDialog. Then they can be called from a variety of contexts.

That said, please understand that the ImageJ2 data model is still under
development. One relatively safe option would be to use the new
parameterized plugin and script framework, but stick to ImageJ1 data
structures (i.e., ij.* classes) for the time being. (E.g.: @Parameter
ImagePlus inputs)

Happy to assist if you have any further questions about it.