[ImageJ-devel] mvn javadoc problem with java 8

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Wed Feb 11 10:49:23 CST 2015

Hi Dscho,

> Curtis, you forgot to say that the `#getSource(long)` probably needs
> to be replaced by a `#getSource(int, int)` because the class has only
> a `getSource` method with the latter signature.

Yeah, my reply's first draft basically said "just fix the invalid javadoc".
Then I actually tried compiling with Java 8 and looked at what would need
to be fixed. Over 100 errors, due to things like missing @param and @return
and @throws. Fixing all of those things would actually be quite involved,
especially across all 200+ repositories, so I begin to see the wisdom of
working around it for now.

> But I agree that Javadocs that are obviously wrong should be fixed
> rather than switching off Javadoc generation in the Maven
> configuration.

Right, we definitely do not want to switch of javadoc generation. However,
there is another way: <additionalparams>-D:doclint:none</additionalparams>.
But it would need to go in a Java-8-specific profile. And again, I am
ambivalent about doing it because in the long term, especially after we
fully switch over to Java 8 some day, I would not want those checks
disabled by default.