[ImageJ-devel] What do I need to add to my NetBeans ImgLib2 project to open a TIFF file

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Wed Dec 3 13:31:59 CST 2014

Hi Michael,

> How do I establish what Maven projects I need to include?

One way to check is using the dependency-maven-plugin like so:

    mvn dependency:analyze

This will tell you:

A) Dependencies you declared but do not actually use; and
B) Dependencies you did not declare directly, but actually need.

Note that this will only work if your project compiles successfully. In
other words, it is easier to start with "too many" dependencies and pare
down, rather than trying to "build up" from zero.

So in your case, you can start with the ImgLib2 Examples dependencies
block, run dependency:analyze, and adjust the POM according to its
recommendations.

> When I go to my NetBeans project dependence, select Add dependency,
> then type SCIF to the query text box, I get a huge list of
> possibilities.

The dependency you probably want is io.scif:scifio (i.e.: a groupId of
io.scif, and an artifactId of scifio). Presumably at the latest version.
You can search for that here:

   http://maven.imagej.net/index.html#nexus-search;gav~io.scif~scifio~~~

So your dependency block in this case would be:

    <dependency>
      <groupId>io.scif</groupId>
      <artifactId>scifio</artifactId>
      <version>0.17.1</version>
    </dependency>

Note that that block of XML is available for copy-pasting from the link
above.

> I am completely new to maven

For more information, see:
    http://imagej.net/Maven