[ImageJ-devel] Maven problem

Johannes Schindelin Johannes.Schindelin at gmx.de
Fri Apr 11 09:26:19 CDT 2014

Hi Tobias,

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014, Tobias Pietzsch wrote:

> Projector2D has been replaced by IterableIntervalProjector2D recently in
> imglib2 core.

Please keep in mind that such problems are easily avoided by leaving
@Deprecated placeholders in place.

These deprecated classes/methods need to removed eventually, and keeping
with SemVer implies that the major version number needs to be increased in
that case.

In the ImageJ project we did not do that so far, because we exempt all the
software which is still in beta phase from being versioned in SemVer,
explaining that all the APIs are still in flux during the beta period.

However, to provide a dependable software project that is useful for other
developers than only the core developers of said project, once we are out
of beta, we cannot simply rename classes or methods or move them between
packages anymore, not without leaving deprecated placeholders in place
(and eventually biting the bullet and bumping the major version when we
remove the deprecated APIs).

Ciao,
Johannes