[ImageJ-devel] ImageJ2 Headless Question

Johannes Schindelin Johannes.Schindelin at gmx.de
Sun Sep 22 09:00:58 CDT 2013

Hi Joe,

On Sun, 22 Sep 2013, Joe Falconer wrote:

> I'm having Maven connector issues in Eclipse Kepler so I'm using the
> complete snapshot all jar

I would like to encourage you to resolve the Maven connector issues with
Eclipse. It is known that Eclipse faces quite a couple of challenges with
dependency management, and the best solution *is* to use Maven.

> and maybe this is the cause?

Almost certainly:

> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid service: imagej.console.DefaultConsoleService

This is something we fixed recently, so at least in beta 7.3, it should be
gone.

> I've also tried the ImgLib2 examples on the fiji site referred to from
> the tutorials page but I've had trouble getting them to run without
> raising "No compatible service: io.scif.SCIFIOService" exception.

That suggests a version problem. SCIFIO is still developed heavily, so it
is essential to stay with then newest version of it (or at least with a
version that is compatible with the ImageJ2 version you are using).

Again, something that should be much easier with Maven because we maintain
a parent project consisting solely of the definition of the current
versions:

	https://github.com/scijava/scijava-common/blob/master/pom-scijava/pom.xml

By using an explicit version of this project (1.79 at the time of
writing), and by using the properties defined therein instead of explicit
versions of the dependencies known to pom-scijava, you make it very easy
to upgrade to the newest set of matching dependenciy versions: just
increase the version of the parent POM.

Ciao,
Johannes