[ImageJ-devel] ImageJ with java 1.7?

Chris chris at gaiag.net
Fri May 31 10:17:55 CDT 2013

> Hi Chris,
>
> On Fri, 31 May 2013, Chris wrote:
>
>> I am getting this error when trying to run my plugin in ImageJ after I
>> developed the plugin in Netbeans 7.3:
>>
>>> java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: APC_ : Unsupported major.minor
>>> version 51.0
>>>
>>> This plugin requires Java 1.7 or later.
>>
>> Does ImageJ work with java 1.7?
>
> Well, it says that the plugin requires Java 1.7, not that ImageJ requires
> Java 1.7, although, to answer your question, ImageJ works with Java 1.7.
>
>> I am using Mac OS 10.7.5 and the only java version on my machine is 1.7
>
> This is another issue: MacOSX' Java 1.7 support is unfortunately not as
> stable as Java 1.6 support.
>
> Therefore I would suggest to configure Netbeans to target Java 1.6.
>
> Besides, it is always better to target *not* the latest and buggiest, but
> the most prevalent, in this case, Java 1.6, *especially* if you want to
> make your code available (which you should, as a scientist).

Yes, of course I want to make it available, that's the whole point of cooperation.   :-)  I downloaded Netbeans IDE 7.3 and suddenly my only option for java was java 1.7.0_21 on my Mac PowerBook Pro.  I no longer have any other version of java on my computer!  Also, I can't find any way to download java 1.6 and have it as an option for running Netbeans.  Even my older versions of Netbeans now run java 1.7.  That's my problem in addition to the inability to build my project on Maven anymore due to the unresolved (unresolvable?) error I reported earlier.

And thanks for responding!  I really appreciate it!  :-)

Chris