[ImageJ-devel] ImgLib and SCIFIO

Johannes Schindelin Johannes.Schindelin at gmx.de
Fri May 24 14:12:07 CDT 2013

r ImgLib developers & users,

some of you might have noticed that a couple of Jenkins jobs failed in
order to warn us that some code no longer compiles. The reason is that
ImgLib2's ImgOpener (and also legacy-ImgLib1's) require instances of
OMEXMLMetadata, and the public method in Bio-Formats to construct that
instance was removed on April 29th of this year.

The long-term plan, of course, is to not even require implementation
details of the I/O layer -- such as the OME-XML data structures -- to be
known by the calling class. In effect, we will migrate functionality of
imglib2-io into SCIFIO.

In the short-term, we worked around the issue by pasting the former code
of the createOMEXMLMetadata() method.

As for legacy-imglib1, the same work-around was put into place, but
without the long-term plan to go to SCIFIO: legacy-imglib1 will eventually
just join Milton on the beach for a Pina Colada.

Ciao,
Johannes

P.S.: As always, feel free to comment or question what I wrote about. I am
prepared to elaborate on any specifics, and to go into detail about the
reasoning behind our decisions (but would like to save the time if nobody
cares anyway ;-)).