[ImageJ-devel] [fiji-devel] Fiji website down

Johannes Schindelin Johannes.Schindelin at gmx.de
Mon Mar 25 16:28:32 CDT 2013

Hi Stephan,

On Mon, 25 Mar 2013, Stephan Saalfeld wrote:

> just now it seems that the server is back and running perfectly fine.

Thank you for this implicit praise! It really means a lot to me.

> I am therefore curious to know what `met its end' means exactly.

What you see as "fiji.sc" is now another computer. The old computer is
gone. It won't boot up, its warranty has expired, we will never hear its
lovely humm.

The hard disk of pacific.mpi-cbg.de (which served fiji.sc for the past ~2
years) is now in a different computer that is the new pacific.mpi-cbg.de.
Back when the MPI-CBG had an image processing facility, first headed by
Jean-Yves Tinevez, then by yours truly, and then by Daniel James White, it
was quite clear on whose budget the machine ran. This is no longer clear,
and therefore the new server is just a temporary solution, put in place
very quickly and helpfully by Matt Boes of the MPI-CBG's IT department.

To resolve this unclear situation, Curtis Rueden and me worked on getting
the Wiki and a couple of developer resources back up and running on a
server hosted at LOCI in Madison.

> Is the machine broken?  If so which parts?  Or did it just have a
> hick-up, crashed and needed a person pressing the power button to
> restart?  The latter would probably enable a much smoother transition.

As I said, the machine does not boot up anymore. The hard disk might have
problems because some operations are really slow.

> Thanks for working on it and for any information on the matter.

You are welcome. And as I said, thank you so much for the kind words.

Ciao,
Johannes