[ImageJ-devel] cell-serialisation

Mark Hiner hiner at wisc.edu
Mon Jul 8 08:46:56 CDT 2013

Hi Tobias,

The SCIFIOCell<https://github.com/scifio/scifio/blob/master/scifio/src/main/java/io/scif/img/cell/SCIFIOCell.java>class
needs to be serializable to allow the library we're using to persist
opened cells to disk, and thus its superclass(es) needs to be serializable
with non-final fields.

The only potential alternative I can think of would be to fully duplicate
AbstractCell's fields and logic in SCIFIOCell... but that would still
require the ArrayDataAccess to be serializable (do you see that as a
potential problem, or only AbstractCell?).

In the merge commit<https://github.com/imagej/imglib/commit/7bc7dde9b095d6e3544d5f781716c0dc06de439b>I
mentioned we ran the PerformanceBenchmark with/without implementing
Serializable and saw no difference. We thought that was sufficient for
merging the changes, but I'm sorry if we circumvented discussion.

If there are other tests you'd like to see run, or would like me to
investigate duplicating AbstractCell's code, let me know.

Thanks,
Mark