[ImageJ-devel] [Postcards] Bring Postcards up-to-speed (#1)

Chris christopher.coulon at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 11:52:35 CDT 2013

> Hi Chris,
>
> On Wed, 3 Jul 2013, Chris wrote:
>
>> Excellent!  Thank you Dscho!  I can certainly see my project in GitHub
>> now.  I did a merge but I still do not understand how I can develop my
>> project on my computer (MacBook Pro OS 10.7.5).  When I do a Clean and
>> Build of my project in NetBeans, I still get the errors:
>>
>> COMPILATION ERROR :
>> Text_Tool.java:[41,27] error: package org.jdesktop.layout does not exist
>
> This suggests to me that you still did not use GitHub for Mac and still
> did not clone your own project with it. You will find that using GitHub
> for Mac will tell you when you have local or remote changes, and will help
> you reconcile them.

I am using GitHub for Mac.  I did a commit there, then tried to clean and build my project in NetBeans with the same results that package org.jdesktop.layout does not exist.

>> so I still am missing the operation that pushes the project back to my
>> computer with the correct repairs.
>
> I bet nothing you read about Git calls this a "push". I bet all of those
> articles call that a "pull" or a "fetch & merge".

OK, I confess I am new to GitHub and am unfamiliar with the terms and what they mean.  But I do not know where to look when the latest tutorials tell me to click buttons that do not exist and explain in great detail how GitHub differs from other resources I have never heard of, but fails to explain how to do the simplest things such as putting the project with its correct resources (whatever that may be called) into my computer so that I can run it without errors.  Now my Git for Mac has four pages: History, Changes, Branches, and Settings.  Nowhere can I see any way to update the project on my computer.

OK, it's well established that I don't know what I'm doing.  Reading the tutorials only helps when their instructions match what I see on my computer.  When the instructions depart from reality, I can no longer follow them, because each new step depends on the step before being accomplished, so if I can't accomplish a step due to it not being available on my machine, I can't go any further.  There's no equivalent on my machine to "Clone in Mac."  The "Clone in Desktop" button puts me on the download GitHub for Mac page, which is already downloaded, so that is not helpful.  So after committing my project in Git for Mac, I have no idea what else I should do to make my NetBeans project useable without the org.jdesktop.layout errors.

Is it possible to do something that will let me develop my project on my computer using NetBeans without the org.jdesktop.layout errors?