[ImageJ-devel] 'Freeze' button

Graeme Ball graemeball at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 17 07:56:55 CDT 2013

I agree, reproducible analysis is extremely important.

It would be nice to have numbered Fiji releases that can be referred
back to (and even better, rolled back to) at a later date. i.e.
something like:-
  http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/download/src/
  http://developer.imagej.net/downloads
but via the updater, and with all dependencies frozen.

Not sure how painful that would be to implement, but so long as you
don't need to cache too many versions and their dependencies I guess
it shouldn't be unbearable.

A lot of people seem to get annoyed by the constant update requests,
so it would also be nice to have the option to update only to such
numbered releases as they come out (one a week / month / quarter?)

In the meantime, the obvious workaround to ensure some important
analysis can be reproduced at a later date is to turn off the updater
and archive the whole Fiji / ImageJ app. At ~200M zipped for Fiji
that's not ideal.

I usually advise co-workers *not* to update Fiji / ImageJ when they
are in the middle of some important analysis task because updates can
be a double-edged sword.

Regards,

Graeme

PS. I realise this is not a Fiji list, but since Fiji / IJ2 use the
same updater I figured it's not too far off-topic