[ImageJ-devel] Labeling - Revised Branch

Tobias Pietzsch pietzsch at mpi-cbg.de
Tue Mar 20 11:01:02 CDT 2012

Hi Martin and Christian,

I looked a bit at the source, but I'm not sure I get it all yet.

Probably it's a good thing, that Labeling is not an Img anymore.
For views etc. you will use it as a RandomAccessible<LabelingType<?>>,
so you will lose the additional stuff provided by the Labeling anyway.
So not much change there.

Why not go one step further and not store the NativeImgLabeling in a
RandomAccessibleInterval<? extends IntegerType<?>> instead of an
Img<? extends IntegerType<?>>?

The main point for you is, that now you can use "smaller" IntegerTypes
(eg. Byte) to store the Labeling, so you save memory, right?

That's cool, but it comes with the additional overhead of using a
SamplerConverter for the Accessors. So you trade of memory vs
computation time. Did you do any benchmarks to see how much
runtime-overhead you have there?

best regards,
Tobias