[ImageJ-devel] Dubious new Wiki accounts

Johannes Schindelin Johannes.Schindelin at gmx.de
Mon Jul 16 18:08:25 CDT 2012

Hi Stephan, me again,

On Mon, 16 Jul 2012, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Jul 2012, Stephan Saalfeld wrote:
>
> > BTW---confirmation e-mails aren't a very solid entrance door.  If I were
> > to write a bot, I would make it use either trashmail or any personal
> > mail-server that I control and call any link that comes to me by
> > mail---door open.
>
> Yes, but my major aim is not to keep bots out, but to strike a balance
> between keeping bots out and lowering the barrier for the potentially many
> people who were intimidated by not being able to get an account easily.
>
> Should there be a spammer who gets through, I will block the account right
> away and revert the changes. That's not too much trouble, methinks.

So far, the only problem I have is that reCAPTCHA did not prevent 4 more
accounts from being created. However, as I enhanced the
removeUnusedAccounts maintenance script of MediaWiki to clean up the logs
as well (you can see the effect in the current version of RecentChanges),
I hope that this is good enough to make the RSS feed usable again.

Ciao,
Dscho

P.S.: Of course, it does not help that I edited quite a bunch of pages
today, but those are legitimate changes.