[ImageJ-devel] Running a Java7-only ImageJ plugin under OSX

Christophe Leterrier christophe.leterrier at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 08:18:59 CDT 2012

Hi,

Sorry for the duplicates, I'm a bit lost as regards to merging and
consolidations in the Fiji / ImageJ / ImageJdevel mailing lists. Did
Fiji-devel merge into ImageJ-devel in the end ? What about
ImageJ/Fiji-users ?

I come to my point. I would like to test a super-resolution plugin, GraspJ,
under OSX :
http://code.google.com/p/graspj/

It is a nice super-resolution package for peak detection, fitting (using
GPU computing), image reconstruction (using correct uncertainty-sized
gaussian spots) and drift correction without fiduciary markers (using
cross-correlation between subsets of the data). It requires Java 7 and
OpenCL. I saw it presented by its author, Norman Brede, it is his work as
an undergraduate at ICFO in Barcelona if I understood correctly.

The problem is, I can't get ImageJ to use Java 7 under OSX. I downloaded
the newest Java SE 7u4 jdk for OSX here:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk-7u4-downloads-1591156.html
installed it and selected Java 7 as the first choice in the Java
preferences, but neither Fiji nor ImageJ uses Java 7 when launched (they
use the Java 6 installed on my machine).

Johannes (Schindelin) told me the Fiji launcher for OSX has Java 1.6
hardcoded and doesn't take into account the system-wide Java preferences.
Is it the same for plain ImageJ ? Could I force ImageJ to use Java 7?

Thanks for your help,

Christophe Leterrier