[ImageJ-devel] [ome-devel] strategy and 6D data

Jason Swedlow j.r.swedlow at dundee.ac.uk
Thu Dec 6 14:39:10 CST 2012

Hi Curtis, Ian et al.

Thanks for raising this issue again.  We've certainly discussed it several times, on these lists and in our regular weekly meetings.  Fundamentally, Curtis is correct, we definitely need to address the issue of N-dimensional data thoroughly and completely.  This was the basis for the various studies we did of this problem in 2011/2012, the final summaries of which are:

http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/file-formats/working-with-ome-xml/6d-7d-and-8d-storage

http://trac.openmicroscopy.org/ome/wiki/WorkPlan/NDimensionalData
(deprecated page)

Curtis stated he didn't like the Modulo solution, and frankly, from a modelling point of view, we're not fond of that either.   We fully appreciate the limitations of the approach.  As detailed above, however, the approach does allow us to move forward, begin to explore these different data types, and start to work with real applications in a broad number of domains, and allow us to develop knowledge and experience with new data types and their usage.  That provides the foundation for a significant re-design of essentially all of OME's models and software.  Given the number of people who depend on these resources, we need to initiate large breaking changes when we are sure of what we are doing, and have good example datasets from as wide variety domains as possible.  For this reason, we previously decided to provide Ian and other with this type of multi-dimensional data with support for a Modulo-based approach, help get their analysis integrated with OME's tool, and then get, for example, global analysis on FLIM data running in production.

This does put off the inevitable, and we fully accept the additional burden this creates.  However, we are committed to making significant changes to OME's APIs through a series of defined, known steps, where people working with OME-TIFF, Bio-Formats and OMERO are provided explicit, well-documented, working specifications and examples, are allowed to transition to a new framework.

Frankly, the other issue is that there are a large number of critical things to achieve in OME.  For a number of years, many institutions have insisted that we provide support for direct access to data from the filesystem, improved support for analysis, export, etc.  To do each of these correctly takes significant work and concentration by the whole team to deliver functionality across the whole stack.  That means we have to make strategic decisions, and choose our priorities.  We don't have infinite resources, but what we do build and release has to be of high quality and usability.

Finally, discussions of N-dim will certainly continue to appear on the weekly team meeting agenda (https://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/community/minutes/conference-calls/2012).  Those meetings can also be used for more detailed, focussed conversations.

Thanks for the thoughtful comments;  look forward to more.

Cheers,

Jason