[ImageJ-devel] [ome-devel] strategy and 6D data

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Wed Dec 5 09:16:17 CST 2012

Hi Ian,

> Clearly you have a better feel for the downsides of the ModuloAlong?
> solution than we do so can I ask how you intend to store your data in
> OMERO?

When I wrote about my concerns with the Modulo approach last year, my goal
was to spark a technical discussion that could lead to a truly
N-dimensional solution in the OME schema. But that did not happen—the rest
of the team did not share my concerns—so the Modulo approach is AFAIK the
only way to store lifetime data within OMERO in the present day.

So it seems to me your best bet is to use Modulo, since that is what the
OMERO system provides, and hope that it stays well-supported in the long
term. The other option—proposing and implementing a truly N-dimensional
data model—would be something that only the core OMERO developers
realistically have the capability to do, given the complexity of the OMERO
software stack.

As for how LOCI will store spectral lifetime data in OMERO: we aren't
planning on doing so until the OME data model fully supports it. In the
meantime, it will be enough for us for Bio-Formats and ImageJ2 to support
it, since they are already N-dimensional.