[ImageJ-devel] service-parameters branch

Johannes Schindelin schindelin at wisc.edu
Fri Aug 31 13:06:47 CDT 2012

Hi Curtis,

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012, Johannes Schindelin wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Aug 2012, Curtis Rueden wrote:
>
> > The service-parameters branch contains some improvements to how services
> > declare their dependencies. It eliminates the need for those stupid
> > no-arg constructors just to make SezPoz happy (because it eliminates the
> > need for *any* explicit constructors). Rather, service dependencies are
> > declared as @Parameters now, similar to declaring inputs in a
> > RunnablePlugin.
> >
> > I tested and all seems to work well. However, as part of the refactoring
> > I touched some code in core/updater. Is it still the case that code
> > changes like this will break things for people with old versions of the
> > updater, due to the fact that that updater updates only itself and not
> > its dependencies? In this case, not updating
> > imagej.service.ServiceHelper would cause a problem when creating the
> > UploaderService in FilesUploader#createUploaderService().
> >
> > How do you think we should proceed? Wait a bit before merging to master?
> > Or would these changes be OK?
>
> I fear that the way I implemented the initialization of the UploadService
> (it is done on *any* startup of the Updater, not just when an Uploader is
> needed), we may run into trouble.
>
> Having said that, the Fiji-Updater.jar I uploaded earlier this week should
> remedy the problem by simply falling back to the Updater as uploaded this
> past Monday, until a current and working Updater is available locally.
>
> I will test with a setup as it would be when you updated two weeks ago but
> not after that, but my guess is that we should maybe wait with *uploading*
> a new Updater a couple of days.
>
> Unfortunately, this would interfere with uploading beta4, right? Let's
> discuss after my tests...

After testing a couple of times with different levels of "up-to-dateness",
it seems as if my recent work to make the Updater more robust really paid
off: there is no problem running the updater. I just need to make sure to
upload a complete IJ2 (and remove the files that were renamed/made
obsolete) so that the Fiji Updater does not *always* fall back to the
hard-coded remote updater (which would be the version from this past
Monday).

So: full steam ahead, I'll merge service-parameters after lunch and take
care of uploading stuff.

Ciao,
Dscho