[ImageJ-devel] service-parameters branch

Johannes Schindelin schindelin at wisc.edu
Fri Aug 31 10:21:06 CDT 2012

Hi Curtis,

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012, Curtis Rueden wrote:

> The service-parameters branch contains some improvements to how services
> declare their dependencies. It eliminates the need for those stupid
> no-arg constructors just to make SezPoz happy (because it eliminates the
> need for *any* explicit constructors). Rather, service dependencies are
> declared as @Parameters now, similar to declaring inputs in a
> RunnablePlugin.
>
> I tested and all seems to work well. However, as part of the refactoring
> I touched some code in core/updater. Is it still the case that code
> changes like this will break things for people with old versions of the
> updater, due to the fact that that updater updates only itself and not
> its dependencies? In this case, not updating
> imagej.service.ServiceHelper would cause a problem when creating the
> UploaderService in FilesUploader#createUploaderService().
>
> How do you think we should proceed? Wait a bit before merging to master?
> Or would these changes be OK?

I fear that the way I implemented the initialization of the UploadService
(it is done on *any* startup of the Updater, not just when an Uploader is
needed), we may run into trouble.

Having said that, the Fiji-Updater.jar I uploaded earlier this week should
remedy the problem by simply falling back to the Updater as uploaded this
past Monday, until a current and working Updater is available locally.

I will test with a setup as it would be when you updated two weeks ago but
not after that, but my guess is that we should maybe wait with *uploading*
a new Updater a couple of days.

Unfortunately, this would interfere with uploading beta4, right? Let's
discuss after my tests...

Ciao,
Dscho