[ImageJ-devel] Where are all the plugins?

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Thu Aug 9 11:51:02 CDT 2012

Hi Gabriel,

> > This combined "uber-JAR" is for developers only, as an option
>
> I see, I also think that this needs explanation in that page.

I started fleshing out the "Combined build" section of the Downloads page,
but then decided to simply remove it. Honestly, it is better for developers
*not* to use that JAR. It was only provided as a convenience for those who
strongly prefer it. Using a single combined JAR has many disadvantages
though, so I'd rather not advertise its existence on the Downloads page. We
will continue to have Jenkins build it though.

If we get to the point where there is enough demand for it that it should
really be explained on the web site, I will create a separate page for it
explaining the pros & cons of using it, along with alternatives. But we'll
cross that bridge later.

> The downloads page should perhaps be more explicit about the possibility
of
> openjdk not working with the IJ2 beta (and Oracle's Java 1.7 has some
problems
> too...).

I added the following text to the Downloads page's "System requirements"
section:

"Please note that we currently test ImageJ2 mostly with Oracle Java 6.
There may be additional bugs when using it with OpenJDK, as well as Oracle
Java 7. Feel free to report any such issues to the mailing list."