[ImageJ-devel] Where are all the plugins?

Curtis Rueden ctrueden at wisc.edu
Mon Aug 6 14:16:04 CDT 2012

Hi Gabriel,

> I restart it and get the same message again. So basically the updater is
never
> started.

This was a bug in the Updater (affecting both Fiji and ImageJ2) that has
hopefully been sorted now, thanks to Johannes's efforts. Please let us know
if not.

> 1. I installed the IJ2 beta3 and want to update to the latest snapshot.
How do
> I do this? The website is not informative on this. E.g. the "latest
snapshot"
> appears to contain older files than the beta 3.
>
> If there is a daily build (I supposed that this is what the latest
snapshot
> is) why can't I get it via the updater?

With any automatic update mechanism, there is a balance between providing
the latest bleeding edge features and bugfixes, and keeping things stable.
Different projects have different philosophies on where along that spectrum
is most appropriate. Some projects, such as the Mozilla Firefox project,
solve the quandary by providing multiple "update channels" depending on the
user's preferences. This is what we eventually hope to do for ImageJ: you
can choose whether to subscribe to release updates only (i.e., stable
channel), or whether you want to get all SNAPSHOT updates (i.e., unstable
from master branch of the codebase).

Personally I think people should need to explicitly subscribe to receive
unstable/SNAPSHOT updates. Otherwise, the people who do not like to be
pestered about updates too frequently would find the constant stream of
updates very annoying. The reliability of the software would also suffer
since not all commits to master are tested as thoroughly as releases are.
However, there *be* a way to subscribe to unstable updates, or else pushing
bugfixes to users who need them in a timely fashion becomes too difficult.

Until we get the multiple channel updates working though, we are erring on
the side of caution with the update site, meaning you must explicitly
download the latest snapshot build ZIP file if you want to try it before
each beta release.

> What is one supposed to do with the Combined build file (*-all.jar)?

This combined "uber-JAR" is for developers only, as an option, to use with
external integration. For example, CellProfiler uses it, rather than
bundling each of the individual ImageJ2 JAR files. It is not intended for
use with the ImageJ application bundle.

> 2. I copied my plugins folder from IJ1 into the plugins folder of ij2.
> Nothing appears under the plugin menu entry. Is that supposed to be so?
> They cannot be found by the CTR+L command finder or the Control Panel.

You said you got this sorted, so hopefully it was something easy. If you
had to do anything unintuitive, please let us know; it is supposed to "just
work" like ImageJ1 does.