[ImageJ-devel] Kanban

Adam Fraser afraser at broadinstitute.org
Wed Sep 21 08:59:33 CDT 2011

I was at a computational biology symposium yesterday and one of the speakers
mentioned that his group has been using a methodology called Kanban with
pretty excellent results.

I found a good article about it here:
http://www.agileproductdesign.com/blog/2009/kanban_over_simplified.html

If you skip ahead to "Kanban development distilled", there's an image that
should give you a good feel for the methodology. Kanban limits work in
progress by giving you a set number of slots in each of a few development
stages. Eg: 4 slots in the "development" stage means that only 4 things can
be developed at a time. To start development on another task, you need to
finish development on one of your existing tasks and move it to the next
stage (if there's room).

Anyway, it's an interesting concept that may not be
immediately applicable to the work that we're all doing, but it's definitely
something to be aware of.

-Adam