[ImageJ-devel] Fwd: [ome-devel] Storing 6D and 7D in OME-XML & OME-TIFF

Jason Swedlow jason at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
Mon Sep 19 05:55:34 CDT 2011

Dear All-

This is just FYI.  Please note that this is transitional.  We want to get towards an n-dim model, and will need to make sure this is compatible with what is happening in ImageJ.

We'll be moving this into OME-TIFF and Bio-Formats, and then OMERO.  We'll be roadmapping this over the next month or so.

Comments etc welcome, probably best on the OME Forums (http://www.openmicroscopy.org/community/).

Cheers,

Jason

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Andrew Patterson <ajpatterson at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk>
> Date: 16 September 2011 15:02:47 GMT+01:00
> To: OME-Users OME-Users <ome-users at lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk>, ome-devel at lists.openmicroscopy.org.uk
> Subject: [ome-devel] Storing 6D and 7D in OME-XML & OME-TIFF
>
> Hello,
>
> We have been doing some further work on fitting data that requires more than 5 dimensions into the OME data model. Our plan in the long term is to move to using an N-dimensional model but this will take a large amount of work to the Bio-Formats, the OMERO server and clients. In the short term we have devised a solution we can put in place that will allow up to 7 dimensions in our existing model. We have called this the Modulo solution.
>
> This solution relies on using the Z and T dimensions to each store an extra dimension. The description of the extra dimensions are stored in StructuredAnnotation so the data looks like 5-D data, and can thus be stored in the current OME-TIFF and OMERO server.
>
> Full details and sample files are available at:
>
> http://www.openmicroscopy.org/site/support/file-formats/6d-and-7d-storage
>
> When the OME model moves to be N-dimensional we can upgrade data stored in this structure.
>
> We hope this proposal will work for your data.
>
> We welcome your suggestions for further improvements as always. Comments can be emailed to us or left on our forums:
> http://www.openmicroscopy.org/community/
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew
>
> ----
> Andrew Patterson
> ajpatterson at lifesci.dundee.ac.uk
> Software Developer, Open Microscopy Environment
> Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation and Expression, University of Dundee

**************************
Wellcome Trust Centre for Gene Regulation & Expression
College of Life Sciences
MSI/WTB/JBC Complex
University of Dundee
Dow Street