[ImageJ-devel] Candidates images for the "about ImageJ" dialog

Gabriel Landini G.Landini at bham.ac.uk
Wed Oct 19 04:04:16 CDT 2011

Some ideas about the "about" image. In Fibonacci order:

1. What about making this an open contest and advertise a bit mode widely it
in the IJ and Fiji lists perhaps?, rather than IJ-devel only?
We might otherwise be missing lots of interesting stuff.
Also that would it make people feel a bit more interested  in the development
of IJ2.

2. Relax the theme and let's see what other images than cells people submit.

3. I also think that we would want to see what the images would look like at
the intended resolution of the about window, so I suggest the images should be
submitted at that size, reduced or cropped to avoid disappointment when
reducing them (and detail being lost) or scaling artifacts.
Maybe this can be done in some of the wikis (the Tudor one has, I think, a
plugin (?) for polls that might be possible to adapt to this?).

5. There are lots of interesting and beautiful images for which it would be
difficult or impossible to read any text overwritten on them, so an idea would
be to use the images with an artificial darkening horizontal gradient or
similar so the text is readable.

8. I like the idea of various images alternating or randomly used for this, so
perhaps there could be a pool of sample images to choose from at run time. If
space is an issue, when the about samples folder is not existent or empty the
about window could use just a default image stored in the jar file or a blank
frame.

Cheers
Gabriel