[ImageJ-devel] ROI presentation powerpoint

Lee Kamentsky leek at broadinstitute.org
Wed May 25 07:34:34 CDT 2011

On 5/25/2011 3:35 AM, Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> Hi Lee,
>
> On Mon, 23 May 2011, Lee Kamentsky wrote:
> - When measuring area and circumference, we should definitely realize that
>    we're working with sampled data, and consequentially we should always
>    have some +/- number with the value.

Maybe we shouldn't call it area.  There are a lot of circumstances where
you want to normalize a sum over the pixels in an image by the number of
pixels, so I've found it handy to keep the number of pixels in a ROI
cached. So that's the number I'm trying to represent. I think it would
be great to have an algorithm that could come up with an error estimate
(or competing algorithms, each calculating the error in its own clever
way, each arriving at a different, but arguably correct estimate).
Gabriel Landini has also asked for the perimeter pixels (and from those,
you can use a structuring element find the "just inside" and "just
outside" pixels) so I will add that to the ROI interface sometime in the
near future. But, baby steps, right?