[ImageJ-devel] alpha 3

Lee Kamentsky leek at broadinstitute.org
Mon Jun 6 10:11:10 CDT 2011

I've added a line style to overlays - dashes, dots, dot-dashes and none
(= outline disappears) in addition to Solid.

For the current design, I think that ROI painting will still be slow and
will need to be optimized. I'm thinking that first-class support of
image segmentations will mean that more users will do things like
particle analysis which will generate a large number of ROIs. We could
be clever here and, because the ROIs are derived from a single labeling,
the labeling could be represented as a first-class object in the UI
instead of as a collection of ROIs (but still allowing individual ROIs
to be selected) by having a labeling DataObject similar to Overlay.
There would be a corresponding view which would be rendered as one
bitmap; it's fast to both generate the bitmap (two passes over the
labeling within the currently displayed plane) and economical to store
and display its graphical object.

Are there any other use cases that generate a large number of ROIs?

--Lee