[ImageJ-devel] Design meeting notes

Johannes Schindelin Johannes.Schindelin at gmx.de
Thu Oct 7 17:48:38 CDT 2010

Hi,

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010, Curtis Rueden wrote:

> > Also, I am wary of the MVC design discussions. This all sounds as if
> > your target was again a single-desktop application, and not an image
> > processing library extensible via plugins which just so happens to
> > also have an interactive backend for end users.
>
> Unfortunately, the discussion wasn't well captured in the notes.
> Contrary to how it might have appeared, I think the desire for an MVC
> design actually illustrates our focus on "ImageJ as library."

Good! That was my concern.

> The reality is that much of the engineering challenge of ImageJ *does*
> come down to how the GUI is structured, since many developers do want to
> leverage portions of the GUI (as a library) in their applications. So
> there are many layers to consider...

There are. But the most important is the lowest-level layer. And I think
with what Grant did (based on my @parameter proof-of-concept), things are
definitely moving into a good direction. Fiji (+plugins) will be very
usable, even from other frameworks/libraries.

> > Otherwise: impressive job.
>
> I think the discussion served more to get us all on the same (or at
> least similar) page, and thinking about these topics, than it did to
> make any substantial design progress. We did settle on our priorities
> for the conference presentation, at least, so that is good.

I agree. The overall direction is definitely good (not that I would expect
any project lead by you and Grant to go anywhere else...!)

Ciao,
Dscho