[ImageJ-devel] Design meeting notes

Lee Kamentsky leek at broadinstitute.org
Thu Oct 7 08:40:18 CDT 2010

  My notes on your notes - I'm not wedded to any of the positions taken
below, so if yours differ, try to convince me otherwise:

*"Each plugin pushes the result forward in the chain using an image
dispatcher"*
I'd recommend CellProfiler's approach and note that @parameter for
images could let any UI, along with the user, determine which images are
associated with which arguments. A UI should suggest any previous output
image as a possible input image for a later stage. For interactive
ImageJ, this is a list of whatever images are open, for a pipelined or
batch model, this is a list of the outputs of previous pipeline steps.

*

    * Is there any mechanism that lets a plugin validate the consistency
      of its arguments? For instance, a certain combination of options
      may not make sense - most typical case would be a minimum and
      maximum numeric value with the maximum larger than the minimum.
          o Related, some @parameters will be superfluous under some
            circumstances: as an example, CellProfiler's mixture of
            gaussians thresholding method asks "what percentage of the
            image is foreground?", but the Otsu thresholding method does
            not. CellProfiler does this by asking the module for the
            settings to display (and the user doesn't have to implement
            the method in which case all are displayed). How would such
            a method in ImageJ name the parameters to display? (string
            matching the field name? Tags in @parameters matching a
            string array returned by the method?
    * *How to specify choices*? For instance, our Otsu thresholding
      method takes 2 or 3 classes or maximizes the inter-class variance
      or entropy. (and there are about 8 thresholding algorithms to
      choose from other than Otsu). I would recommend a "choices"
      attribute in @parameter. I am hoping that you all can make the
      architecturally elegant choice of how to link an ordered array of
      strings to the attribute.
    * Help annotations in @parameter - user-visible explanations of the
      effect of each parameter. CellProfiler uses a bastardized HTML
      here (limitations of our HTML control).
    * "Nudge": the controller can nudge the view, possibly does not need
      to nudge the model. UIs can be slow, in CellProfiler, the nudge is
      pretty coarse: "View, completely reconstruct yourself".

*Display plugin architecture*
My prejudice here is to find ways to be clever and keep UI out of the
plugin. The trick is to imagine the plugin as being unable to concieve
of the concept of UI and you have to ask the stupid thing questions that
get past its lack of imagination: "Which of your parameters are relevant
for your operation?" = "what parameters should be displayed on screen".
If the plugin hankers to display something, maybe that's an output
parameter and maybe there are hints as to how it might be displayed, but
little more than that: histogram of a vector of values, scattergram of
pairs of values. I have my personal reasons for these choices (make it
work with CellProfiler), but the result of these choices is an
architecture that will not lock you into display particulars, will
regularize the appearance and interactions across plugins and will give
plugin developers easy to use tools to do the things they need to do.

Be extremely clever here - it can be a game, how dumb can you make a
plugin? A plugin wants the user to select points or regions or wants to
draw on an image - the drawing, etc, is an input parameter to the
algorithm and it isn't the plugin's job to control the interaction.

Maybe think of ways that plugin developers can add both controller and
display elements and reference them from their plugin - the developer's
package registers controller and display names that are used by the
plugin. This would encourage contribution of generic controller and
display code that would be reusable instead of buried in a single plugin.

*Demo of CellProfiler

*I think Curtis has either the binary or a link to one - trunk
CellProfiler build that is demoable for Tubeness. *Grant* is looking
over my mods to Tubeness - *Johannes*, you are a Tubeness author, my
mods to it are attached and you are welcome to correct my mistakes, also
if you have any other favorite plugins that you want to mod or have me
mod, I'd love that.

*Action items

*Lee: CellProfiler demo